Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pocket Wizards

Well, I finally picked up a set of Pocket Wizards. I've been using either my 580 or my ST-E2 to set off remote flashes. The ST-E2 let me down at the last wedding so I decided it was time to get a set of these. Now I have another style of shooting to learn. It looks like these will be a blast to use.

I spent today making a bracket to attach one of the PWs to the light stand and also made a bracket with a quick release mount that attaches to the bottom of my camera. This setup lets me shoot an on-camera flash using E-TTL II and an off-camera flash in manual mode. I'm just starting to work on the techniques needed for this shooting style but the early results are really promising. The mix of the two styles seem to really work well together. It's still not my dream system but I don't think anyone has created that yet. Canon would be really close if there remote flash system was controlled by radio instead of flashes of light. It's just not dependable enough. If Canon eventually sucks it up and comes through with an automated flash system that can completely control remote flashes using radios people will flock to it.

Of course my usual "victim" for flash work was overjoyed about the new system. He must really get sick of it but it's a challenge to light him properly so it's good practice. Here's Chester enjoying the new Pocket Wizards.

No comments: