Saturday, April 21, 2007

R.A.P.S.



Got this new toy in the mail yesterday! It's called R.A.P.S.. It is designed to carry electronics while protecting them from the elements. The inside lining is copper based. It's "sacrificial", meaning it will corrode instead of anything stored within it. It's the same process used on boat motors with sacrificial metal to keep other parts of the motor from corroding.

I've been looking for a while for something to carry a camera in a backpack without having to shove a camera case in there. I've done the wrap it up in a down vest or jacket but never felt secure with this system. I was always worried about it tumbling out when trying to retrieve it from the backpack. With this system I feel a lot safer.

This is the large size, it's 20 inches square. You can see I have a 30D with a Sigma 24-70 lens attached. It's folded up almost like putting on a diaper except you close the top. I don't think a child would care for that part! If you look at the picture of it folded you will see sewn in squares. This is the Velcro that keeps it closed. It will stick to the red material anywhere and seems to have a real strong grip. It also has some foam padding inside to help prevent bumps and scratches. It's not real thick but feels like it will be up to the job. If you are looking for a way to carry an expensive camera like I have been I'd recommend checking these out. I picked mine up on B&H Photo online. A great online camera store that I have done lots of business with. Happy hiking!



No comments: